Monday 28 September 2015

The Wiggin Tree

The Wiggin Tree, aka the Rowan, Mountain Ash or Sorbus aucuparia is one of my favourite trees.

It may not have the stature of the Oak or the Ash. It doesn't support the great number of invertebrates that the Oak does, and its wood is not, as far as I'm aware used to create products such as the Willow (cricket bats) or the Yew (longbow). But, the change that it undergoes in autumn is, in my opinion subtle but stunning and one of the best of any tree. The greens, golds and browns contrast so beautifully with the vivid red of the berries.

The Wiggin Tree






Not only that of course, but it has links to my home town of Wigan. It appears on the town's crest as well as on the badge of my beloved Wigan Athletic. Reason enough to like it if there were no others.
At the moment young Wiggin Trees are obvious all around my usual dog walking route. I'm hoping that the good berry crop will attract plenty of winter thrushes to give me something else to enjoy once the autumn colours have faded.

No comments: